Monday, June 26, 2006

Texting levels reach record high

The Mobile Data Association (MDA) announced that UK users sent 3.3 billion text messages in May, according to the BBC today.

Now, I'm a big fan of the new technologies like mobile barcode scanners and the like, but it seems obvious to me that text messaging is still (and will remain for some time) the communication of choice among the vast majority of mobile users.

Hence (caution, sales pitch alert) why I believe stufflinker is such a good idea: Take a technology that people are already very comfortable with, and then gently expand the boundary of their experience so that it encompasses new, less familiar territory. Call it experience expansion if you like...

Actually, now I think about it, this is similar to the bunch of thoughts I had while at the recent Content 2.0 conference. It was a great conference, and I don't think there was a word there which I disagreed with (actually, not true, but nothing I'm going to write about here..) but the thing which kept digging at me was that we were blatantly a room full of geeks trying to get stuff across to a world full of tech novices. Most people I talk to in the real world don't use social software, haven't heard of Flickr, don't give a crap about what an API is.

What am I getting round to saying? Well, basically...
  • I think I've built the beginnings of an interesting application which - literally - my mum will use
  • I am very much up for all that APIMashabilityRSSOpenstandardsness and will be building technologies onto the system which do this as time goes on - keep an eye on the developers section of stufflinker, at www.stufflinker.com/sl/developers
  • I want to test stufflinker with non-geeks in preference to geeks, and try and find ways of bridging the techgap. If you want to get involved - particularly if you're a non-geek, but really, if you're anyone, please use the contact form to request beta access to stufflinker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home